Sunday 22 November 2015

OUT AND ABOUT: Greggs Festive Bake

I was out and about in my local town centre yesterday and just before I hopped in the car to scoot back home I thought I would pop in to Greggs to see what festive offerings they were serving up. Their tasty sounding Christmas wrap was sold out but looking at the counter I was delighted to see their Festive Bake had returned. With Greggs Steak Bake being a guilty pleasure of mine, I remember trying this festive alternative and being really quite taken by it. To that end, I was more than eager to see if this year's version lived up to the memory. 


First off, I should say that the staff member serving me was full of smiles and really made for a warm and welcome experience so top marks go to Greggs Penrith on service. Moreover, in what I thought made for a nice touch, my meal deal cup of tea came in jolly festive cup with a lovely warm red colour scheme. 


As for the bake, its festive paper bag sported a similarly red colour scheme complemented by an amusing Santa beard and hashtag.  Removing the packaging, and barring the dent I made in the top, I thought the product looked great. Indeed, the pastry was beautifully golden with a nice crispy look to it - I actually thought it looked better than the product shot.  


Moving on to the taste, the smell of the sage stuffing was more than apparent and certainly whetted my appetite. Biting in, this smell translated to the palette with the sage bounding through on a glorious wave of creamy sauce punctuated by occasional chunks of meaty chicken breast and sweet bursts of cranberry. Yes, perhaps in an ideal world, I would have liked more chicken and, admittedly, the strips of bacon were a bit lost on me. That said, for the price and the relatively small parcel they're trying to cram all these ingredients in to, Greggs gets top marks from me again on this one. That sage stuffing is a triumph.

Warm, tasty fare that is sure to get you in the festive spirit. Pity it's around for a limited time only.

BRAND LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment