Thursday 31 March 2016

NEW PRODUCTS: Burton's Fish 'n' Chips Brown and Red Sauce


Brown sauce or red sauce? It's a divisive question with many Brits firmly falling on one side or the other. Personally, forced to choose, I would have to go with brown sauce; however, I do appreciate both - you certainly wouldn't catch me eating a fish finger sandwich without the liberal application of ketchup. To that end, I've kept an open mind about Burton's new Fish 'n' Chips products which pitch these two mighty accompaniments against one another in savoury biscuit form.




Adorned in the brand's classic 80's newspaper-inspired livery, I'll get straight to it and say that these look great. Opening the multi-pack reveals five very sweet, miniature packets - somewhat evocative of the old Mini Cheddars bags in size. Whilst, thanks to that newspaper design, the packaging artwork is full of the charm and interest that made this brand so memorable in the first place. As for the look of the snacks themselves, they're fun too with the biscuits sporting rudimentary yet effective fish and chip forms. Brilliant stuff that speaks for itself.


Taste-wise, the base snack sports a reasonably thick frame with a light biscuit texture that's pretty distinctive. With regards to the brown sauce flavour, the key ingredient is prominent with a definite taste of vinegar bounding through to ensure the snack can't be accused of blandness. Given its acidity, I can't say it's the brown sauce flavour I'm most accustomed to, that is, HP or Daddies Sauce; however, it's consistent with other brands I've tried in the past.

Moving on to the tomato ketchup variant, once again, this flavour isn't on the fence with tomato very much identifiable. That said, yet again, I can't say the flavour is totally reminiscent of the sauce I'm most used to, Heinz ketchup. Indeed, the tomato in these biscuits is actually less synthetic tasting with much more of the vegetable's flavour coming through. 

So which flavour did I like best and why? Well, I have to give it to brown sauce on this occasion. Whilst both products could have benefited from a touch of sweetness in my book, the tomato one was just a bit to tomatoey for my palate. 

Overall, these look superb and I'm impressed how Burton's have incorporated the flavour of the sauces so distinctly. For those that like a vinegary twang and/or a reasonably natural tasting tomato snack, I think these will be a particular winner. Oh, and if you do pick them up, be sure to vote for your favourite flavour on the brand's Facebook page - there's a chance of winning £10,000. 

BRAND LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment